Priority 1: Promoting innovation and competitiveness in remote and peripheral areas
i. Innovation, networks and competitiveness
Objective: To promote competitiveness by increasing and developing the capacity for innovation and networking in rural and peripheral areas
- exchange of best practise and establishment of cooperation networks between R&D institutions and SMEs to increase the capacity for innovation, facilitate the design of innovation systems and strengthen competitiveness
- transnational cooperation networks and knowledge transfer to develop existing and new innovative products
- cooperation and exchange of best practice between SMEs on how to address and reach markets with existing and new products
Potential project ideas
- Benchmarking of innovation and SME support networks in remote and rural areas, and promotion of successful systems for the development of new support methods, models and transboundary products.
- Collaboration between the research, public and private sectors to support the development of cold climate facilities and techniques, in order to produce innovative products and services in a high tech environment.
- Transnational collaboration and knowledge exchange between SMEs in the periphery to develop marketing strategies and target new export markets by clustering to increase their products’ export and market potential.
- Improvement to the provision of services to micro and small firms to engage more with research centres and to develop stronger linkages with the public sector.
- Knowledge exchange between research institutes and the private sector to develop innovative ‘green’ transboundary products in forestry and aquaculture, for example.
- Knowledge transfer across sectors to develop innovative solutions for adding value at source to indigenous products and methods, particularly natural resources and construction.
- Networking between enterprise centres and business incubation centres in rural and peripheral areas to design systems that increase technology transfer and the development of innovative products and services.
- Promotion of an innovative and entrepreneurial culture across the Northern Periphery by preparing and adapting educational and training systems.